[geeks] KVM switch recommendations

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 15:18:04 CDT 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 12:50 PM, Chad McAuley wrote:

> On 9/24/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>> I need to get a KVM to switch among 2 primary systems.  Actually
>> more,
>> but I think I'm going to just focus on the two main systems and deal
>> with the rest later.
>>
>> Basically, I need a DVI/USB KVM to switch between a Mac and a PC.
>>
>> Ideally it needs to handle 1900x1200 in case I get a 24" widescreen.
>>
>> I've read a lot of reviews, and people report even expensive units
>> have
>> little annoying flaws.
>>
>> Is that just the state of DVI/USB KVM switches, or are there some
>> that
>> are pretty much "perfect".
>

> I haven't done any detailed research into it, but what I've seen in
> passing leads me to believe that's just the state of DVI/USB KVM
> switches.
>
> On a similar topic, if I may do a bit of threadjacking, anyone have
> recommendations for a decent VGA/USB KVM?  I just need one that can
> switch between two PCs.

I'm using an "all in one" IOGear VGA/USB KVM.  It ran me around $40 a
couple of years ago.  I use it with my non-DVI Mac and my PC.  It
works pretty well, though sometimes I lose my keyboard and mouse.
But that's just a matter of unplugging the USB connectors from both
machines, then re-plugging.

I also have a 4-port Belkin VGA/USB KVM that worked really well, but
it fell over dead during an attempt to upgrade the firmware for a Mac
OS X fix, and I never sent it in to get it unbricked.

If I want to use my DVI Mac laptop, I skip the KVM and connect
directly to my LCD's DVI port.

=Nadine=