[geeks] Distro recommendations

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Sep 23 03:40:35 CDT 2007

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 19:50:04 -0400
Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I specifically DO NOT want to have a desktop that visually emulates or
> attempts to emulate Windows
[...]
> And I absolutely will not tolerate a distro that goes behind my back
> and changes settings I have configured manually back to what it thinks
> they should be.
Sounds like you are a candidate for Debian.

Or NetBSD. The most sane implementation of the Unix paradigm in
existence. You don't need to compile everything yourself out of pkgsrc.
You can install binary packages:
pkg_add
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages-2007Q2/NetBSD-4.0/i386/wm/fvwm-2.4.
20.tgz
Dependencies will get handled automagically. (Possibly you wane wait for
the upcoming pkgsrc-2007Q3 branch at the beginning of October.)
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen