[geeks] Distro recommendations

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 22 19:35:08 CDT 2007

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2007, at 7:50 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> So, I was recently given a Thinkpad i1300.  It's a fairly decently
>> fast
>> machine, with a PIII/750, but with 192MB maximum RAM it's a bit
>> starved
>> for memory during compiles.  I initially set it up as a Gentoo
>> testbed,
>> and while it's done a good job at that and given me a pretty good idea
>> of what configuration I want to use when (or, now, if) I migrate my
>> primary Linux desktop to Gentoo, I don't think it's really a good
>> distribution for this laptop -- large emerges on it are very slow.
>>

> Debian plus AfterStep or other minimal window manager should do it.

I haven't used Afterstep, but I've found I don't like the NeXtStep
desktop motif.  My personal preference is still fvwm2.  I tried blackbox
once on a Sparc LX running OpenBSD, but found it a bit *too* minimal.

I hadn't considered Debian, but it's a good thought.  It's pretty good
on hardware support, it's stable, it has a good package-management
system (though I find the alternatives system confusing), and I have at
least one friend who uses Debian and would be able to help out if I run
into Debian-specific trouble.

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.