[geeks] FYI: Low-cost x86 1U server barebones on eBay

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 13 17:19:01 CDT 2007

>From: John Francini <francini at mac.com>
>Date: 2007/09/13 Thu AM 09:13:15 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] FYI: Low-cost x86 1U server barebones on eBay

>Okay, I've gone and bought one. Seemed like a good deal.  Pretty blue
>front panel, too.

They are pretty nice, but the RAID is a bit if a cludge to work with (if you
need to install from a CD/DVD drive) because you can either use conventional
IDE (Ultra 100) OR RAID IDE (Ultra 133) connectors, but not both, and you
can't hang a DVD drive off the RAID controller...

You would install your HD and DVD on the Primary IDE connector, install,
remove the DVD drive, move the HD to the RAID controller, then create an
array *adding* the second drive (either RAID 0 or RAID 1)...

Or you can netboot (PXE).

I installed locally, and just left the drives on the conventional controller
(for now, I may move them over later on).

I really like that the rack rail hardware is included ;^)

>Now, could anyone tell me of a decent and inexpensive co-location
>facility in greater Boston-towards-Nashua?

Sorry, no.

Lionel