[geeks] Teachers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 11 06:35:05 CDT 2007

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/09/10 Mon PM 06:11:12 CDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Teachers

>On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:57:19 -0500 (CDT)
>Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> US law is similar - no Federal employee can make more than the President,
>> but the law in the US is written that if the President refuses a salary (as
>> several have in the past, IIRC), everyone else in Gov't still gets paid
>> (the law hinges on pay SCALE, not actual pay I guess)...
>
>The law might say that, but the reality is a bit different.

I don't think so...

>While their salary might not be higher, by the time you could the perks that
>come with their office, most of them make a good amount more than the
>President, and that's not counting their retirement plan's value.

The perks that come with being president (of the USA) are quite significant (from memory):

 - 100% pension for rest of life ($400K/year, IIRC)
 - Security detail for rest of life
 - Office space & staff for rest of life
 - healthcare
 - etc

>Obviously for everyone else, the law probably does apply fairly well.
>
>Congress has considered themselves above it for a long time now.

For a breakdown of earnings, see: http://www.ntu.org/main/page.php?PageID=23

Lionel