[geeks] Odd uptick in spam...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 7 13:38:37 CDT 2007

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:58:10 -0400
"Anthony Ortenzi" <geeks at litfire.com> wrote:

> Der Mouse blathered:
> > Is it Microsoft's crapware that's endangering your national security,
> > or is it the chowderheads who choose to run it despite its being the
> > least secure, in practice, operating system on the planet?
>
> Shouldn't you be spouting this on /.?
>
> I use Windows for a desktop platform because I like to get things done,
> while you're dealing with package management, Mozilla memory leaks, and
> whether or not your hardware is supported.

I avoid Windows because I need to get things done.

Package management in UNIX is easier than in Windows, so I can't imagine what
you mean there.

Ubuntu, for example, works.  Windows installers have never worked very well,
and even in 2007 most apps scatter files and registry data all over the place.

All of my hardware is supported, so that's not an issue.

On the other hand, Linux/Unbuntu handles a load for me every day that will
absolutely cripple Windows, so it isn't just a matter of preference: I
literally cannot do my work on Windows. It can't handle it.

> Yes, when I finally allow Adobe Reader to update, I go through a series of
> reboots an hour long, but the other 100 hours a week when I'm looking at an
> Explorer.exe interface, if I'm not getting things done, it's because of my
> own attention span.

When I need to update, it usually takes about 5 minutes, most of that
download time.

--
shannon