[geeks] Odd uptick in spam...

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Fri Sep 7 10:34:42 CDT 2007

> Der Mouse blathered:
>> Is it Microsoft's crapware that's endangering your national security,
>> or is it the chowderheads who choose to run it despite its being the
>> least secure, in practice, operating system on the planet?
>
> Shouldn't you be spouting this on /.?

While I think the view above might be a bit heavy handed, Der Mouse has a
point.

I think the strongest thing to back up that point is that now, only in
Vista, has Microsoft started doing things like Address Space Layout
Randomization that operating systems like OpenBSD have been doing for a
while.  (And incidentally, it was only added as a feature in beta 2 of
Vista, and even then, it's only active for for binaries which are linked
to be ASLR enabled.)

> I use Windows for a desktop platform because I like to get things done,
> while you're dealing with package management, Mozilla memory leaks, and
> whether or not your hardware is supported.

Wow, you're making it sound like using Windows is a walk in the park.  I
do Windows administration most of the time now in my day job (in past jobs
having done VMS, IRIX, Mac, and Solaris administration), and I'm not so
naive as to imply that using other operating systems that aren't as
widespread as Windows is a waste of time.

> Yes, when I finally allow Adobe Reader to update, I go through a series of
> reboots an hour long, but the other 100 hours a week when I'm looking at
> an Explorer.exe interface, if I'm not getting things done, it's because
> of my own attention span.

I don't even know where to start with this, so I won't.

- Nate