[geeks] Solaris: recommendations for non-Sun versions

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 31 10:24:51 CDT 2007

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/10/30 Tue PM 08:57:27 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] Solaris: recommendations for non-Sun versions

>Does anyone here use Solaris not built by Sun?
>
>I would like to get a new Solaris 10 build and install on a Sun U2,
>but I really HATE HATE HATE going through the pain of getting it
>through Sun.
>
>Any other recommended distributions that are easy to get, as in they
>just give you a link and let you download it, the way the network was
>intended to be?
>
>Torrent download of Solaris would be ideal.  Doesn't even really have
>to be the latest and greatest, since my last server copy is from 2006.

I'll be honest, I don't see the problem you complain about.

Once you log in, you can choose to download SPARC or x86 versions of Solaris, either as a DVD image or multiple CDs. The DVD image is broken down into parts, that need to be either "cp"'d together or by "running" the first piece on a windows machine, it will assemble the remaining pieces into an .iso file.

I guess you can complain about having to log in, but that seems pretty trivial.

You could complain about the DVD iso being several pieces, but that is a simple matter of balancing size vs. reliability of network connections.

You don't have to use the Sun Download Manager - you can just click and select save from the pop-up dialog from your browser.

What, specifically is your complaint? I was annoyed about the lack of bandwidth when the most recent distribution came out, but that was a temporary issue - there's plenty of bandwidth now.

I quite like the SDM software, it tends to work well for me, of course, YMMV.

If you like, for $25 + s/h I'll send you an Ultra 2 with 1024 Meg RAM, 9 gig HD, TGX & CD-ROM with SOlaris 10 pre-installed, and I'll toss in a set of Solaris 10 Update 4 CDs or a DVD ;^)

Lionel