[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 30 12:53:21 CDT 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> No, scratch that, we're not just stupid.  We're absolutely and
> willingly
> clueless.  A large swath of my generation and nearly all of the
> generation after mine can't manage money or other resources, doesn't
> know how to plan for the next week--let alone the next 5 years, can't
> find most of our allies on a map[1], can't define "agriculture"[2] or
> "economy" or "technology" or "culture, and really and truly believes
> that universal rights ought to be doled out by the government for the
> sake of "safety".

I would agree.

However, I see the same disease among Canadians, Euro-peons, UK, and
other world citizens.

People in general don't take enough interest in their own survival,
and I personally find expectations of largess a worse problem in
Europe than in America.

> But, then, what can you expect from two generations of kids who
> were sat
> in front of televisions for hours at a time, starting at a very young
> age, and then pushed through schools too weak-willed to correct and
> hold-back because it would damage some poor kid's self-esteem.  At
> least
> when I was in school, we still had "gifted and talented" programs.
> Friends of mine who are teachers tell me those are going away because
> their exclusive nature also damages self-esteem.

The other day I watched a show about poor diets in most western
countries, and how the problem is not just bad habits, but the fact
that there are few alternatives.

The conclusion was that in all those areas, we have two generations
of people who don't know what real food is, or how to make it on
their own, so it is easy for the food industries to keep turning out
crap.

We've come to accept it as "food" when it isn't.

> [0] hint to Americans:  look for the word "Democracy" in the
>      Constitution.  Ah couldn't find it?

At the same time, try to remember the last US President you heard
refer to the USA as a republic.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com