[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 30 06:16:11 CDT 2007

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 10:18:32PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> What do you think about someone like Ron Paul?  He's on the
>> republican ticket, but he's a pretty solid libertarian.
>
> He's a xenophobic twit who has collected every nut in the U.S. behind him.

Where do you get "xenophobic"?

> Obviously you have not been following the news, the "9/11 truthers",
> anti-war whatevers, American White People's Party (neo-Nazi),
> etc, have rallied behind him.

Obviously you haven't seen him and his staff wishing they'd just go
away.  "NO!  Please!  Don't help me!"

(I almost wonder if they've been, uh, "encouraged" to support him.
Nothing discredits anyone like having the raving loony brigade stand up
for him in public.  It wouldn't be the first time such a thing has been
arranged in the uS.  CIA used to do it all the time.)

>> If he could get elected, maybe it would make people think about it a
>> little more.
>
> What scares me, is if he resigns his seat to run for President,
> hopefully for which  he never gets a mention, he'll go back to
> practicing medicine.

Is that supposed to be a veiled ad-hominem?

>> Of course, people don't like him because he doesn't promise them
>> largess like the rest of the candidates.
>
> No, what he promises is a disaster in foreign policy, a disater
> in domestic policy and if he were elected, the people on this
> list would put up against the wall, right after the marketing
> department of the Cyrius Cybernetic Corporation.

Pure FUD.  He's the only 100% consistent pro-liberty vote in Congress.

>> Oh, another change we need: split the national ticket so that
>> president and vice president run on separate tickets.
>>
>> It wasn't that long ago that American had split parties in the White
>> House.
>
> Look at the problems with a split house/senate and president have
> caused.

Look at the problems a single-party-controlled House, Senate and Oval
Office caused.  You want to see a disaster, wait and see if Hillary wins
the Presidential election and watch what happens when Democrats control
all three.  A split government, in the US, is GOOD - it means the
Repubocrats and Demoplicans hold each other in check and keep each other
from doing too much damage.

> The U.S. is in the early stages of a depression that will
> end up like Germany in the 1930's. Have you seen the value of the
> dollar on international markets? Oil was $85 a barrel a few days
> ago.

And you're blaming this on the split government?  The Democrats haven't
so much as mustered the gumption to blow their noses since they gained
control of Congress.  It's all BushRoveCo's work.

> While there have been many forclosures over the last summer in the
> poor parts of the U.S., wait until all of those sub-prime mortgages
> (almost all of them are adjustable rate) adjust to current rates.

And this is the fault of the Democrats in Congress how, exactly?

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.