[geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 26 07:48:47 CDT 2007

>From: Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za>
>Date: 2007/10/26 Fri AM 05:06:54 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] FYI: CompUSA is offering OS X 10.5 for $99 (after rebate)

>On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 06:37:30AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Of course, unless you live near one of the few remaining physical CompUSAs this means you'll have to mailorder and wait for delivery, but $30 off is a pretty good deal, IMHO.
>>
>> Link: http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?mode=multiadd&Ntt=349185,349186&N=0&Ntx=mode+matchany&Ntk=product_code&pfp=fod
>>
>> Amazon has it for $109, no rebate (again, mailorder, await delivery)
>>
>> Link: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-Version-10-5-Leopard/dp/B000FK88JK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-4496064-0459265?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1193312170&sr=8-1
>>

>Does anyone know if it is possible to order Leopard by mailorder,
>shipping to an international destination?
>
>Attempting to order from Amazon, when you live in South Africa results
>in a:
>
>*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected
>destination.
>
>The price of Leopard is much greater outside of the US:
>Amazon UK
> 67.64 GBP = 138.55 USD
>Apple Store South Africa
> 979 ZAR = 148.66 USD
>
>Both of which are much greater than the 99 USD listed above!

I suspect retailers are only alowed to sell to certain geographic areas, I don't think there is a way around it.

Also, the $99 price was *after* rebate, which I think you wouldn't qualify for since you are not a US resident (most rebates are limited that way in my exp.).

The $109 price at Amazon (which I took advantage of, I sacrificed $10 in savings to have the savings now (not in 10-12 weeks)...

Lionel