[geeks] Cheap Octocore

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:24:45 CDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Dan Sikorski wrote:.
>>
>> Besides, why single out Dell on this practice?  I've heard from
>> multiple
>> sources:  "Nobody pays list price for (Sun/Cisco/HP) gear"
>>
>>     -Dan Sikorski
>
> What *IS* a common discount from Sun's prices as posted on their web
> site?

At $gov, it was running around 35% on enterprise stuff (forget trying
to get that much on desktops or super low-end stuff).  Generally it
depends on your volume and/or whether the Sun rep you are using
thinks you are looking to bail.  Also note that you don't pay for
support during the warranty period, and that Sun support for hardware
is a HELL of a lot cheaper on newer machines than older (think orders
of magnitude cheaper).

=Nadine=