[geeks] AAPL > IBM

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:13:42 CDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 11:04 AM, sammy ominsky wrote:

> On 23/10/2007, at 18:56, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>
>> They know this. They make products that die; most iPods only last
>> 2-3 years
>> between hard drives and hard-soldered batteries that aren't
>> user-replaceable.
>
> Um, I just replaced the battery in my iPod for about $15 from
> ifixit.com.  It was not soldered in.  Maybe older ones were?  My 4G
> was a snap to replace.

Maybe 1G iPods and shuffles, but none of them since--even the Nano's
can be replaced if you are willing to crack open the case.  I believe
the "user-replaceable" complaint is due to it requiring the case to
be opened with tools vs. opening a door as with cell phones.  IMO,
it's just FUD.

But they are catering to the masses who can't figure out how to
change their vehicle's oil, or who throw out perfectly good computers
due to a hard drive failure, so what do you expect?

I wish I'd had the good sense to buy AAPL @ $16.

=Nadine=