[geeks] Apple applications phoning home

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 23 21:09:46 CDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> As far as I know, he is talking about the Apple-supplied mass-storage
> IOKit drivers.  They're needlessly fragile in the area of hot-
> plugging,
> but they have been getting steadily better.

If you mean me, most of my crashes seem to come from plugging a USB
video receiver into one of the USB ports on the front.

I've plugged it into a hub and have had no crashes for 4 days now.

A lot of people have had trouble with Pinnacle USB video devices on Mac.

I believe their software installer puts a driver in your kernel
because Apple doesn't have a stock video driver for USB devices.

Evidently the USB IOKit layer can't protect the system from the third
party device drivers that sit on it.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com