[geeks] AAPL > IBM

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Oct 23 15:32:32 CDT 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:14:21 +0100, Mark wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2007, at 17:56, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> > hard-soldered batteries that aren't user-replaceable.
>
> I've yet to see an iPod with a soldered-in battery. I know for  a
> fact that iPods Gen 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 Photo and 5 (Video), the Mini and
> the Gen 1 Nano ALL have replaceable plug-in battery packs that you
> can buy a kit with the required tool to do the job and clear
> instructions for about $30.

They're probably not soldered, but they're certainly not
user-replaceable in the ordinary sense of the phrase. Of the four audio
players I'm familiar with, only the Sansa E200 has a sensible way of
replacing the battery. The iRiver iHP100 can be disassembled with a
screwdriver, but isn't easy enough to be 'user-replaceable'; the
Toshiba gigabeat and the iPod are worse.

> > The user-experience is pretty good, too, so people keep coming
>
> That's debatable. A lot of iPod users on Windows have a frustrating
> time, but even THEY still keep coming back.

I suspect they will tend to blame Windows rather than the iPod. Or
(even worse) computers in general.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 By the way, you DON'T want to see what a meat layer buffer overrun