[geeks] FreeBSD: targeted kernel builds

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 23 14:27:33 CDT 2007

I'm building FreeBSD kernels for different machines on a single
machine, and using tinybsd to build custom userlands.

The userland stuff works fine, with the files going into /usr/obj/
<TARGET>/.

However, I also want each kernel build to go into its own directory,
like this:

	/usr/obj/kernels/<TARGET>

Right now, every time I run make buildkernel with MAKEOJBDIRPREFIX
set, the files still end up going into /usr/obj/usr, which obviously
overwrites the custom kernels for the last build.

I want each named build to be in a separate directory so I can create
different kernels for each named distribution I'm making.

Yes, I could do a full build each time, but just copying the most
recent kernel build into place saves me 10 minutes on each build.

Is there some way to tell make buildkernel to put the output in a
specific place?

For that matter, I would really like to maintain separate kernel
sources if possible.  I don't really need to mix 6.x and 7.x, it's
mostly just different driver options for different builds, nothing
real fancy.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com