[geeks] Apple applications phoning home

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:25:46 CDT 2007

On 23 Oct 2007, at 18:28, der Mouse wrote:

> Whether that is a good idea depends on where the impact you refer to
> occurs.  It's nice when the end-user's machine is what falls over, but
> not nice at all when Apple's server, the database backing it, or the
> network between Apple and the end user fails.  They really should keep
> copies both places.

They do, but as far as I can see the MASTER is on the server and the
backup is on the local machine and is retained should you lose
connectivity. C'mon give these guys some credit - you make it sound
like they didn't think this through! :P

>>> [...] kernel crashes triggered by USB devices.
>> I think the USB manufacturers are to blame as much as Apple for not
>> sticking to supposed standards for USB devices.
>
> That should not be able to crash the kernel any more than how you move
> the mouse should be.  It's input from outside; it should be vetted for
> sanity before it's believed, and bad data should not cause a crash.

Kernel modules interact with the Kernel, if a Kernel module goes
wrong it usually brings the Kernel down too. It doesn't matter how
careful you are, you will always encounter the unknown in the wild,
and that has the potential to stop your software working as it
should. OK so you filter it and vet it for sanity, but what if the
problem is not one your sanity filter is expecting? It is a case of
almost limitless combinations and only a few programmers. Also you
have to draw a line for the sake of speed. Remember the USB IOKit
module handles USB Mass Storage transfers - too much safety net and
you'd probably grind USB 2.0 disk transfer rates to a crawl.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>