[geeks] Apple applications phoning home

Tue Oct 23 12:28:35 CDT 2007

> The way .Mac works is it keeps all data on the .Mac server so your
> preferences for .Mac remain in tact in the event of the excrement
> hitting the rotary ventilating device.

Whether that is a good idea depends on where the impact you refer to
occurs.  It's nice when the end-user's machine is what falls over, but
not nice at all when Apple's server, the database backing it, or the
network between Apple and the end user fails.  They really should keep
copies both places.

>> [...] kernel crashes triggered by USB devices.
> I think the USB manufacturers are to blame as much as Apple for not
> sticking to supposed standards for USB devices.

That should not be able to crash the kernel any more than how you move
the mouse should be.  It's input from outside; it should be vetted for
sanity before it's believed, and bad data should not cause a crash.

Not that I can't understand their making mistakes now and then.  Just,
let's not pretend they're not mistakes.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca