[geeks] Cheap Octocore

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 22 19:32:32 CDT 2007

>From: Michael Dombrowski <ab1244 at yahoo.com>
>Date: 2007/10/22 Mon PM 07:05:53 CDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [geeks] Cheap Octocore

>"Dell Small Business offers the Dell PowerEdge SC1430
>8-Core Xeon 1.6GHz Server for $729. With $19 for
>shipping, that matches our last mention as the lowest
>price we've seen for this eight-core system by $270.
>Sales tax is added where applicable. It features two
>Intel Xeon E5310 1.6GHz quad-core processors, 1GB RAM,
>80GB hard drive, and Gigabit Ethernet. (An operating
>system and optical drive are not included.) "
>
>Less than $100/core. Kind of ridiculous. If only it
>didn't require FBD ram...

The RAM isn't that expensive, considering:

Crucial.com lists 1 Gig sticks at $86/each, 4 Gigs (2x 2 Gig DIMMs) for $328 - see: http://crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=PowerEdge%20SC1430

The server isn't bad, but it is a "tower" design - if this were a rackmoount I'd be all over it (and then I'd complain about the price of the rack rails ;^)

Link to listing: http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/pedge_sc1430?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

The case can accomodate 4 drives, but the system board only has two SATA connections and at this price includes *no* optical drive or floppy...

Lionel