[geeks] Apple Mail: auto-archiving

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Mon Oct 22 14:12:52 CDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> When I was using mutt all the time, I used to have a key configured
> that would archive the current message to a specific folder.

<snip>

> What's the easiest way to do this in Mail?
>
> Can Applescript handle this kind of thing?

I've never done it myself, but now that you mention it, it seems like
a handy idea.  A quick google turned up this:

A script to move Mail message to IMAP folders
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040419052354599&query=pine

So, yes, it can be done from Applescript.

Comment from the author of the above script:
Using mail from the pine/mutt days (terminal), I organized all my
saved messages by the first part of the email address of the sender.
This is an option in Pine, so when you hit (S)ave, it automatically
suggests that as the save mail folder.

I have LOTS of mail folders on my imap server, so moving a message by
click-dragging it is seriuosly annoying. I have to either pre-scroll
the mailbox list, or drag and scroll the list, or control-click and
select from a huge list.

This got old really quickly, so this script is used so that it will
automatically figure out the destination mail folder based on the
sender's email address, then move it to that folder for me (after
confirmation), or, if it can't find the matching folder, prompt for
another folder.
/endComment

So obviously, it's not exactly what you want, but would certainly
point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Caleb

--
"In wine there is wisdom. In bier there is strength. In water there is
bacteria."

--German Proverb