[geeks] Animal Abuse redux

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 22 12:12:02 CDT 2007

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/10/19 Fri AM 10:50:53 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Animal Abuse redux

>Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> This made me :-(
>>>
>>> http://www.theginblog.com/2007/10/artist-chains-up-dog-until-it-dies-is-this-art-or-animal-abuse/
>>
>> Seems to have been slashdotted.  On the basis of the headline aline, the
>> no-brainer answer is "DUH!  Animal abuse!"
>>
>> The things that people pass off as "art" these days make me want to spit
>> sometimes.  Especially "performance art".
>
>I would have tried to feed and water the dog.  If the artist had tried
>to stop me, I would have informed him that I was about to put a bullet
>in him.  If he persisted, I'd have kneecapped him.

The "artist" in this "effort" apparently equates being a starving dog in the streets (where it can fend for itself, apparently, because it hadn't starved to death YET) with him actively intervening and starving the dog intentionally...

What boggles the mind is that it took stupidity of an alarming large number of people to see this through. One idiot thought of it, another let it into their art gallery, countless numbers of idiots fought back their (hopefully) natural inclination to feed a starving dog because the first idiot asked them not to, and the judges in the art "contest" he was entering accepted this as art...

This artist is exploiting his place in the food chain, and those around him are just as culpable - imagine the outcry if he was instead a pro football player???

Lionel