[geeks] sun ultra 24

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Oct 16 16:45:34 CDT 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 nate at portents.com wrote:

> Those are both Extended-ATX form factor motherboards that won't fit into
> standard desktop cases, they use LGA 771 (server) CPU sockets,

s/server/server and workstation/

> the Greencreek (server) chipset,

s/server/server and workstation/

> and FB-DIMMs (much higher latency, more power hungry than standard
> DDR2), all of which needs some pretty specific and dedicated cooling
> and comes at a higher cost.

The FB-DIMMs in my systems run just fine with nothing more than an
exhaust fan drawing air across them.

I deal with three Xeon/Greencreek -desktop- computers all day long.
They're better-behaved that nearly anything that passed for a mainstream
whitebox desktop in the early Pentium-4 days.

--
Jonathan Patschke     )  "So far, 99% of illegal activity has been caused
Elgin, TX            (    by criminals."