[geeks] sun ultra 24

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Oct 16 16:15:09 CDT 2007

> I seriously doubt you'll find 8 memory slots on anything less than a
> E-ATX.

None that I know of exist.

> The folks at Dell, HP, Apple, IBM, Sun, etc might be able to get such a
> board custom-made, but you and I? Nope.

Apple uses FB-DIMM riser cards with their own dedicated airflow path and
specifies some pretty beefy heatsinks for each module.

What nobody has mentioned so far is that if Sun goes with an Intel desktop
chipset that supports DDR3, there will, in the future, be JDEC standard
4GB DDR3 memory modules, which means that the max RAM for four DDR3 slots
will be 16GB eventually.

- Nate