[geeks] sun ultra 24

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 07:06:07 CDT 2007

On 10/16/07, Mark <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2007, at 18:53, nate at portents.com wrote:
>
> >> Not bad, but disapointing to have only 4 DIMM slots. How much does it
> >> add to the cost to have 8 DIMM slots??
> >
> > With current Intel architecture more than 4 DIMM slots means going to
> > fully buffered DIMMs (slower, much more power hungry, and generally
> > more
> > expensive).  All of Apple's Mac Pros use FB-DIMMs because of that.
>
> In that case should we expect a Intel Xeon Ultra 44 that looks like
> this? (pic is a Ultra 40)
>
> http://www.sun.com/images/k3/k3_ultra40_5.jpg
>
> That would have Dual Xeons and lots of RAM slots (and a LOT of SAS by
> the looks! I never knew the U40 had so many disk carriers!).

Right, that's what I was speculating on Sunquebec as a possible
reason. The Ultra 24 does have space for 4 internal disks, SAS or
SATA. Ben Audet posted a diagram of the inside of the ultra 24 here
(it is in french, but a picture is understandable in any language!):

http://www.sunquebec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1345

Francois