[geeks] sun ultra 24

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 01:37:52 CDT 2007

On 15 Oct 2007, at 18:53, nate at portents.com wrote:

>> Not bad, but disapointing to have only 4 DIMM slots. How much does it
>> add to the cost to have 8 DIMM slots??
>
> With current Intel architecture more than 4 DIMM slots means going to
> fully buffered DIMMs (slower, much more power hungry, and generally
> more
> expensive).  All of Apple's Mac Pros use FB-DIMMs because of that.

In that case should we expect a Intel Xeon Ultra 44 that looks like
this? (pic is a Ultra 40)

http://www.sun.com/images/k3/k3_ultra40_5.jpg

That would have Dual Xeons and lots of RAM slots (and a LOT of SAS by
the looks! I never knew the U40 had so many disk carriers!).

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>