[geeks] T-3 Coax as Audio Cable

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Oct 5 11:48:53 CDT 2007

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 04:16:51 -0400
Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Sure. Though, using HF coax for audio looks like massive overkill.
> Hey, it's less than a quarter the cost of fancy Monster Cable wire,
> and  spec'd much higher.  So I thought I'd give it a try.
So would I do. If I had that cable already in my parts box I would use
it just like you.

Once I got a 100 m spool of video cable. Two coax and four normal wires.
Perfect for PS/2 extender cables.

> I was most concerned about things less obvious than that, like your
> suggestion regarding impedance mismatches.
Impedance mismatches at the cable will have no real effect at that
frequency range. It is more important that input and output impedance
match. Sometimes you can have strange effects like the output resistance
of the output and the input capacitance of the input building a
high-pass RC-filter with an edge frequency in the audio range. Or a
capacitance to ground that filters out high audio frequencys...

> My preamps and amps all have balanced I/O anyway,
I.e. symetrical signals? In that case I recommend twisted pair cable.
Arn't you an IBM nut? Twinax is perfect, but ordinary SFTP will do as
well.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen