[geeks] T-3 Coax as Audio Cable

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 03:16:51 CDT 2007

Jochen Kunz wrote:
>> Can I use said coax cable to connect the amplifiers to the processor?
> Sure. Though, using HF coax for audio looks like massive overkill.

Hey, it's less than a quarter the cost of fancy Monster Cable wire, and
spec'd much higher.  So I thought I'd give it a try.

>> Will it sound ok?
> Cables do not "sound". Interference or impedance mismatch may "sound".

Yes, yes.  There's no reason to get pedantic.  8-)  You knew what I meant.

> Interference is unlikely to happen, as your cable is coax, i.e.
> shielded. Just make shure you don't get any ground loops. Impedance
> mismatch is not critical on these nearly to DC frequencys.

Ground loops are going to be unlikely.  The amps are going to be plugged
into the same line conditioner as the preamp.  I was most concerned
about things less obvious than that, like your suggestion regarding
impedance mismatches.

My preamps and amps all have balanced I/O anyway, but I don't feel like
dropping the $200 or so it'll cost me to replace the wiring to each of
my amplifiers.  I know $200 for seven channels of wiring isn't that big
a deal on the grand scheme of things, but I already have the T-3 coax,
and if memory serves, it cost me all of about $30.

Peace...  Sridhar