[geeks] Parallels/Solaris users, help this guy out

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 21:19:00 CDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> > >From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
> > >Date: 2007/10/01 Mon PM 11:31:24 CDT
> > >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> > >Subject: [geeks] Parallels/Solaris users, help this guy out
> >
> > >http://blogs.sun.com/g11n/entry/solaris_users_on_parallels_mac
> > >
> > >I find blogs.sun.com to be interesting, so help this guy out :-)

qemu+kqemu, no time drift either. So I would say it's a parallels bug.

Now, I know I just toot'd the horn of kqemu, but IMHO, all of these
(VMware, //, kqemu, XEN, xVM etc) are not exactly lightweight
virtualisations. BrandZ allows you to run linux (debian sarge with
some coaxing, but centos/redhat out of the box) and nexenta (and the
>12,000 deb packages) with some work (although I prefer running
nexenta apps directly in a regular solaris full zone - not sparse).

And then with zones natural tie in with zfs and templates, you can
deploy a new "pc" in 1 line and a few seconds.

If one comes up with a wine or lightweigth qemu (just the JIT aspects,
not the whole emulation) BrandZ that actually works, then it's the end
of the story. You are then running just the apps you need, from an OS,
not the whole OS, and on a very stable host, solaris.

There's a startup company opportunity in there.

Francois