[geeks] KVM revisited

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 2 10:38:40 CDT 2007

I asked about KVM a few days ago, and have more questions:

Someone recommended IOGear.  The reviews I've read say they won't work
with nVidia motherboard USB, which is what I have, and that a promised
firmware update for the problem is 1.5 years late and counting.

Lot's of people report they have issues with all kinds of cards.

The big one though is that for the unit detect your video resolution,
you must boot the machine into the desired video mode when the unit
has focus.

Does that mean you cannot switch resolutions?  What if you boot Windows
at 1600x1200, and then play a game at 1280x960?  Will the KVM not work
then?  That seems a really serious limitation.

Are all KVMs like that? I frequently switch resolutions on one machine,
probably almost never will on another one. If that won't work, I can't
really use a KVM for that machine, which defeats the purpose of getting
one.

Any recommendations besides IOGear?

--
shannon