[geeks] KVM revisited

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Tue Oct 2 11:24:43 CDT 2007

I have a two-port IOGEAR kvm (USB/VGA) on my desk here at the office.

It's hooked between my Ultra 45 and my HP nc6000's docking station. I have a
Sun USB keyboard/mouse.

The Ultra 45 sometimes has a hard time finding the keyboard and mouse when
switching back and forth. Not sure why. This can be fixed by using a USB hub
between the KVM and the Ultra 45. It seems to be Ultra 45 specific. I have a
co-worker with a Sun Blade 150 and the same KVM and she doesn't report these
issues. She's using Solaris 10 and I'm using Solaris Express on the Ultra
45. Other co-workers with the Ultra 45 have the same problem and they're
using Solaris 10.

I have my desk setup such that my laptop is in its docking station but open.
This forces my monitor to be the external monitor on the laptop. Hooray for
real-estate! If the laptop isn't active on the KVM during boot the KVM
emulates/'sends back info to the system that the external monitor is only
1024x768. When I switch back to the laptop I then wind up having to reset
the resolution on the PC and all is well again.

I do most of my work through/from my PC and ssh into my workstation to make
stuff happen. I'll occasionally swap back to the workstation for heavy-X use
(like Siebel's flakey installer and Sun Management Center) but otherwise
that's realy it.