[geeks] KVM revisited

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 2 11:17:49 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:58:26 -0500
"Chad McAuley" <chizad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/2/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> > I asked about KVM a few days ago, and have more questions:
> >
> > Someone recommended IOGear.  The reviews I've read say they won't work
> > with nVidia motherboard USB, which is what I have, and that a promised
> > firmware update for the problem is 1.5 years late and counting.
> >
> > Lot's of people report they have issues with all kinds of cards.
> >
> > The big one though is that for the unit detect your video resolution,
> > you must boot the machine into the desired video mode when the unit
> > has focus.
> >
> > Does that mean you cannot switch resolutions?  What if you boot Windows
> > at 1600x1200, and then play a game at 1280x960?  Will the KVM not work
> > then?  That seems a really serious limitation.
> >
> > Are all KVMs like that? I frequently switch resolutions on one machine,
> > probably almost never will on another one. If that won't work, I can't
> > really use a KVM for that machine, which defeats the purpose of getting
> > one.
> >
> > Any recommendations besides IOGear?
>
> I can't say I've ever seen a VGA KVM exhibit that behavior; were those
> comments specifically referring to their DVI KVMs?

Yes, it seems to be the DVI versions.

People say that if you do not have the KVM focused on the unit when you boot
it, it sets video to a maximum of 1024x768.

Another common complaint is that none of the DVI KVM makers will issues
fixes, in spite of having a firmware upgrade port on their boxes.

Is it really that difficult an engineering problem to have the unit allow
video mode switching?  If nothing else, why can't it just pass the signals?
Monitors seem to have no problem at all with resolutions changing as cables
are plugged and unplugged, so it almost seems like the KVM makers are trying
to be too clever.

I suppose maybe with DVI is has to get a response from the "monitor"
indicating the signal is working, so the KVM must pretend to be at a
certain resolution.  That's all I can think of as a reason for being
this way.

I wish they had some local I could go play with.  I hate buying stuff blind,
especially when so many reviews are negative.

--
shannon / Well, I have entered the metallic years. Silver in my hair, gold in
-------'  my teeth, lead in my ass...  -- Sheldon Hall