[geeks] Google Images Facial Recognition!

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Thu May 31 18:59:16 CDT 2007

Mark wrote:
> On 31 May 2007, at 05:36, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>
>> Mark wrote:
>>> I just found an interesting note over at ARSTechnica. Apparently if
>>> you add '&imgtype=face' to the end of any Google Images search it
>>> will actually return only pictures with faces in. Is that scary or is
>>> it just me?
>>>
>> Forgive me but I worked all day then came home and put in five
>> hours of
>> moving rock around the yard - 4 tons (est) of limestone rubble is
>> now in
>> orderly rows and borders all over the place.  But I'm a little out of
>> it.  So ..
>>
>> Why is it scary?
>
> You don't even find it remotely worrying that google have started
> tracking faces? What if they refine it to pick out a persons face
> from Google images eh?

No, I don't.

You assume this ability is technically possible; let's go with that
assumption.

If it can be done it will be.  You can't stop it - it's Brin's
Transparent Society for the 21st century.  Far better that Google does
it than the FBI.

You'll be able to see what Google is up to - that's the whole point of
what they're up to.  If they can't sell it to many eyeballs then it's no
good.

Good luck getting any kind of data back from the State - you won't even
know they have the capability.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod