[geeks] Microsoft Surface...

Geoff Reed geoffr at zipcon.net
Thu May 31 12:12:52 CDT 2007

> On May 31, 2007, at 3:33 AM, Mark wrote:
>

> > Yet if Microsoft does it everyone beats down on the table. They say
> > "You fraudsters, you ripped off so-and-so and such-and-such" or "oh
> > they just bought in someone elses idea", becuase that's what everyone
> > is used to saying about Microsoft.

from what I have seen (haven't been to Microsoft's site yet, but from the press
release i read, MS is making it sound like they developed the device.

MS has come up with some fairly revolutionary ideas in their R&D labs over the
years. I know, I worked there for several months, and stuff I saw and worked
with then was finally seeing mainstream use almost 10years later, Like Tiger,
the MS interactive TV system.  it included video on demand/streaming.  part of
the system became Microsoft netshow theater, and another part was deployed as
on-demand video on several cable companies.  but it was about 10 years from when
it was developed under Rick Rashid in the R&D labs until it saw the light of day
as commercial products.