[geeks] FYI - Dell to start accepting orders for Ubuntu laptop/desktops

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri May 25 16:20:32 CDT 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 04:20:57PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I think the purpose of the Dell/Ubuntu offering is that it is a
> complet, functioning unit, with all power management, display, audio,
> network, etc. driver issues resolved. Ars Tehnica pegs the price
> difference between the Vista Home Basic and Ubuntu systems (desktop
> and laptop) at about $50 for similar hardware. The choices on the
> Ubuntu systems are more constrained (driver limitation,
> undoubtedly). What would be nice would be if Dell made their driver
> collection available for use by folks that already own, say, an
> Inspiron 1505 laptop...

I think I already said it, but in case not here it is again.

An E520 from two weeks ago, not the new N version with Ubuntu, works
perfectly with Ubuntu 7.04 OOB.  I did not choose an upgraded video
card, and I also did not add the winmodem.  Some of the configuration
limitations are a bit inexplicable, like only offering two hard drives
sizes instead of 6 or fewer optical drive choices.  Leaving out ATI
graphics and the WinModem and other things likely to cause support
problems is a pretty obvious choice to make though.  I wonder if their
firewire card isn't linux compatible somehow.

But, that is a desktop, not your 1505.  I'm a bit surprised that a 1505
wouldn't just work correctly with Ubuntu, provided that you don't have
ATI graphics in it.