[geeks] Intel Mac Mini - Horrible USB2 drive performance

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu May 24 14:43:30 CDT 2007

geeks at litfire.com wrote:
> Bill Bradford said:
>> Are you running them through a USB1.1 hub, perhaps?  I have no problems
>> with USB2.0-attached disks on any of my Macs (PPC or CoreDuo).
>
> Well, thanks for the confirmation that it's not the platform as a whole.
>
> I've got the drives directly plugged into the Mini.  Cables that came with
> the drives.  System Profiler says "up to 480MB/sec", so I'm assuming that it
> knows it's USB 2.0.

It could simply be that you have an external device with a crappy USB chipset.

Even the Apple iPod up to gen 4 had USB slaves that don't follow spec.

The very first thing I would do is check another USB hi-speed device and see
if it works on the Mini, just to rule out a hardware problem with the mini.

I doubt the Mini is the problem since I would hope Apple uses a good USB
master controller, but verifying it is still the first logical step.

I have one USB hi-speed device, a silver MyFlash drive, that refuses to work
at hi-speed.  It used to, but doesn't any more.

Not sure if it is changes to my hosts, or the drive is wearing out.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto