[geeks] Intel Mac Mini - Horrible USB2 drive performance

geeks at litfire.com geeks at litfire.com
Thu May 24 12:25:09 CDT 2007

Bill Bradford said:
> Are you running them through a USB1.1 hub, perhaps?  I have no problems
> with USB2.0-attached disks on any of my Macs (PPC or CoreDuo).

Well, thanks for the confirmation that it's not the platform as a whole.

I've got the drives directly plugged into the Mini.  Cables that came with
the drives.  System Profiler says "up to 480MB/sec", so I'm assuming that it
knows it's USB 2.0.

No indication of problems in the system.log, and while I could see the
chipset being a possible issue (the Cavalry uses a JMicron bridge), but I
guess my best path is probably to take the issue up with Western Digital,
since I think that Apple will point first to the drives, and Cavalry is
cheap crap with an Engrish website.

And for those who replied back about the superiority of Firewire... if I
were really performance conscious, I wouldn't have gotten a Mac Mini.  I
don't need or expect high performance.  I, however, expect that I should be
able to stream a 2500kb/sec mp4 to my aTV, or at least have the bottleneck
be the wireless link and not the drive.

-Anthony