[geeks] Q: NetScreen Firewall/VPN appliance

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Tue May 22 18:23:50 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Very small PIX, I'd say - two ports and no expansion possible...

That describes a PIX 501 to a T ;)

PIX 501s had (note past tense, they've been replaced with the much
faster ASA5505) only 2 interfaces - LAN port was a 4-port switch - and
absolutely no expansion possibilities.

>>> Would a unit like this need expensive software "activation" or
>>> license to actually use (or is it perpetual)?
>> The former.
>>
>> Pray that the previous owner sent you the password (or deleted it).
>
> How useful would this be as-is? (assuming I have an unsecured unit...)

For $5 I think it'll work as a basic firewall + IPsec VPN box.

IIRC a unit that old will have ScreenOS 2.6 or thereabouts... quite a
PITA to get configured.

I think it'll lack quite a few features that modern firewalls have, though.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com