[geeks] Q: NetScreen Firewall/VPN appliance

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue May 22 18:06:32 CDT 2007

>From: Phil Brutsche <phil at tux.obix.com>
>Date: 2007/05/22 Tue PM 05:41:55 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Q: NetScreen Firewall/VPN appliance

>Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> I came a cross a NetScreen Technologies NS-005-001 Firewall/VPN
>> appliance, and I was wondering if anyone had any exp. with this piece
>> of hardware?
>
>NetScreen 5, similar to a PIX 501.

Very small PIX, I'd say - two ports and no expansion possible...

>I've had some experience with them, it's been 5 years though.

Yep, this is from 2001/2002

>> The unit powers up, and I have the original box, which includes power
>> brick and software on floppy (which I can't easily load onto a
>> computer right now). I suspect it works fine, but:
>>
>> Would a unit like this need expensive software "activation" or
>> license to actually use (or is it perpetual)?
>
>The former.
>
>Pray that the previous owner sent you the password (or deleted it).

How useful would this be as-is? (assuming I have an unsecured unit...)

>If you need the password reset you may need to contact Juniper's tech
>support, who won't talk to you unless you have a valid support agreement.

Ugh - could have seen that coming... ;^)

>Did I mention that, since you got it "gray market", a support agreement
>costs as much as a new NetScreen?

Actually, University Surplus Sale - $5, in the original box w/manuals/etc... It actually looks like it might not have been used in production, or was returned after repair and never placed back in service.

>> Do these have any resale value (aside from insanity like eBay Item
>> number: 120121368264)?
>
>The larger ones do.
>
>A little ol' NetScreen 5? No.

Of course not - why would they? (Had to ask)

>> This unit has a trusted and an untrusted Ethernet port, as well as a
>> 9 pin serial diagnostics port...
>
>Null-modem serial console.

I'll give it a shot - I picked up a neat null modem cable on a closeout shelf recently, and I've wanted to try it out - it has 9 and 25 pin connectors on each end, and from one end to the other is crossed over...

Thanks Phil,

Lionel