[geeks] Ultra 2 300MHz CPU question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue May 22 13:15:22 CDT 2007

>From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
>Date: 2007/05/22 Tue AM 11:51:19 CDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Ultra 2 300MHz CPU question

>" From: Ido Dubrawsky <idubraws at dubrawsky.org>
>"
>" I tried upgrading my Sun Ultra 2 Enterprise from 168MHz CPUs to 300MHz
>" CPUs and the machine won't POST.
>" []
>" the Sun Ultra 2 manual on SunSolve indicates
>" that this is a legal combination.
>" []
>" The PROM
>" level is 3.25 and I know that the minimum PROM for the 400MHz CPU is
>" 3.19 so I suspect that I'm good in that regard.  I'm not sure what else
>" to look at/try.  Any suggestions?
>
>jumpers?  don't the 168s run at a different bus speed than the 300s
>and 400s?

Actually, the 167, 200, and 400 all use one jumper setting, the 250 300 uses another.

The setting is documented on page 26 of the Ultra 2 CPU Upgrade Manual.[0]

The jumper is J2301, located between the CPU sockets and SBUS slots, opposite the power supply (diagram on page 27 of the above document.

Lionel

[0] http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/pdf/805-0936-14.pdf