[geeks] Ultra 2 300MHz CPU question

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Tue May 22 10:31:15 CDT 2007

I tried upgrading my Sun Ultra 2 Enterprise from 168MHz CPUs to 300MHz
CPUs and the machine won't POST.  The motherboard is 501-3132 series and
the CPUs are 501-4849 -- the Sun Ultra 2 manual on SunSolve indicates
that this is a legal combination.  I've tried each 300MHz CPU
individually as well as together and it doesn't work.  When I replace
the 168MHz CPUs back into the machine it works like a champ.  The PROM
level is 3.25 and I know that the minimum PROM for the 400MHz CPU is
3.19 so I suspect that I'm good in that regard.  I'm not sure what else
to look at/try.  Any suggestions?

Ido

Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP
Network Security Architect