[geeks] Moving Heavy stuff, was Re: Mensa

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 13 17:33:43 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Well, 18 months later, I paid some movers to take it out of the basement and
> move it to my new house - best decision I ever made. Now it's in a walk-out
> basement, and I can get it to my car without stairs, if, god forbid, someone
> were to want to take it from me ;^)

It's nice to use movers.  For one thing, they usually have better equipment.

I've found that one of those "tank treaded" hand trucks works wonders, as long
as you have the strength, and don't do stupid things.  They are just kind of
expensive, so I try to rent or borrow one.

> Back to the previous comment - SmartUPS are gawd-awful heavy, I've got a
> SmartUPS 2200 that is the size of minitower PC and weighs about 96 pounds
> (Mfg. website)... It's sitting at the bottom of my basement stairs like one
> of those traffic barricades they placed in front of government buildings
> (here in the US) in the mid-90's...

I once moved a computer over a 4 month period.

I had to bring it down stairs, and I wasn't about to get below it.  I got a
come-along from Lowes, and used that to lower the machine on skis.  After that
I just took my time, and changed my mine about 4 times... :)

Those little things are slow, but as long as you can get one end hooked to
something strong enough, they make it easier and a lot safer.

Having said that, take good note of the rating on their cable.  If the cable
breaks, your end is headed for you.

If you can, pull around a corner or use a wheel rig so you aren't in-line with
the cable if it breaks.

--
shannon           | The object of war is not to die for your country but to