[geeks] A very d'oh! moment

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:22:28 CDT 2007

On 11 May 2007, at 01:08, Michael Parson wrote:

> But yes, for the size of the chassis, you did have very limited drive
> expandability.  Even less so in the A3000 desktop case (3x3.5", on
> internal, two external/floppy capable), but it was also a bit smaller.

Here's what I've cooked up (currently in my head but I'll get my
hacksaw and files out tomorrow!) for my 2000.

I found a length of 1"x1" angle in the workshop that I bought, oddly
for my other Amiga project I built last year. I worked out that I can
use the card slot nearest the side of the chassis. I can mount up a
hard drive where there is no card slot socket (they sit too high if
they are above the socket, which thwarted my plan for 2 drives) and
one of those video card exhaust fans on a PCI bracket on a length of
angle and use the slot that the full-length cards slide into to
support it at the front end. That should give me enough support to
hang a drive off.

Theoretically you could shift it over 1 slot to the inner of the two
ISA 8-bit slots and attach 2 drives beside each other, one screwed to
the vertical face of the angle and the other to the horizontal, but I
guess that's a bit of an overkill for and old A2000 :)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>