[geeks] WANTED: chip level design software for UNIX/Linux

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu May 10 03:20:06 CDT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 04:02:51AM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Are you sure you're talking about Forrest Mims, and not Gordon Gould?
>
> I don't know if it can be said that even he invented fiber-optic
> communication, but many people (including I) believe that Gould invented
> the laser, and he definitely went on to start a fiber-optic
> communications company, circa 1970.

Yes.

>From the little research was able to do with STFW'ing, Mim's filed
his invention disclosure while Bell Labs was working on the concept,
but had not "made it happen".

I'm not sure where Gould fit in, but he may have been part of the
Bell Lab's team, or working on it somewhere else.

I'm not sure of the exact amount Mim's was awareded by the court,
but $1m sticks in my mind.

The following is probably TMI, but:

This occured in those dark ages between history books and the web.

When if you wanted to find something out you read it in a newspaper.

If you lived in place with a well funded Library, they had microfilm
back issues of newspapers. The really well funded ones had a collection
of the paper issues until the microfilm came out, otherwise there
was a year or so gap between what was still kept around on paper
and the microfilm. The very well funded libraries had bound volumes
of indexes such as the New York Times Index, which was compiled
by hand.

If for example, the indexer did not think this was important, it
would not appear in the index.

I don't have a subscription to any online newspaper archives.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838