[geeks] WANTED: chip level design software for UNIX/Linux

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu May 10 03:02:51 CDT 2007

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>>> Forest Mims, the inventor of fiber optic communication.
>> You have a cite/reference for this?  His Wikipedia page does not
>> mention it, and neither does
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber-optic_communication .  He's a
>> great electronics guy, but I don't think he invented the use of
>> fiber optics for communication.
>
> It was a well known fact. He filed an invention disclosure with Bell
> Labs describing it. Bell rejected his offer and six months later
> announced their invention. He sued, they lost.

Are you sure you're talking about Forrest Mims, and not Gordon Gould?

I don't know if it can be said that even he invented fiber-optic
communication, but many people (including I) believe that Gould invented
the laser, and he definitely went on to start a fiber-optic
communications company, circa 1970.

Peace...  Sridhar