[geeks] The Dog's Breakfast: Microsoft Windows Vista

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sun May 6 16:34:16 CDT 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007 16:57:53 -0400, Aaron Finley wrote:
> A lot of people have work to do and don't want to fiddle with
> software.

It depends on what you're used to. I find it a great deal more
frustrating dealing with Windows because it isn't what I'm used to.
Some people have found that doing a little fiddling allows them to work
with greater productivity.

And of course some of us are paid to fiddle :)

> For instance, I have three monitors over two video cards.
>
> It would take me hours to figure out how to get it all to work on
> Linux.

Linux multi-screens pretty much sucks, although two screens is pretty
much "on install" (my Ubuntu machine at work has two screens). However
there is pretty clear instructions on how to do multiple screens above
two in numerous places. Part of the problem are the multiple ways to
implement multiple screens.

> Things like that make anti-Windows comments silly. It works.

Actually pretty much nothing works as well as it should. We've been
building software for nearly 60 years and yet applications can still
lose data or state when they crash?

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any