[geeks] Amiga 2000 acelerator card?

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Fri May 4 18:40:41 CDT 2007

On 4 May 2007, at 08:45, Kevin wrote:

> Will do, ASAP.
>
> I currently don't have any keyboards/mice only CPUs and CRT, but i
> think my
> buddy can source at least one set for me.  Of course, i know
> absolutely
> nothing abut Amiga's.... time to get into learning mode.

Huge list of resources (same goes for any other budding Amiga
restorers here) :

http://amigahardware.mariomisic.de/index_e.html
The Big Book - indispensable site for info on hardware

http://amiga.resource.cx/
If it's not in the Big Book its likely in here

http://www.l8r.net/install/
Install| Disks for hardware (including dirvers etc - DMS'd so you
need an UnDMS app to restore them to disk)

http://aminet.net/
**HUGE** Public archive of public domain Amiga software.

http://www.amiga.org/
Amiga community forums. There are others but to be honest this is the
place to go - especially for classics. Try to ignore the morons - we
sadly have rather too many in the community but I guess you take the
rought with the smooth - I know a lot of the good guys and they are
truly good.

As a side not amiga.org also has a IRC channel at:
'irc.zirg.org' channel '#amiga.org'
The atmosphere in IRC is generally very good - I hang there all the
time just because it's such a sociable group (feel free to drop a PM
to 'MacMiga' if you drop by).

http://www.amibench.org/
Community Buy/Sell site - often a much better and more honest bet
than eBay, but caveat emptor all the same!

http://www.thule.no/haynie/
Some great reading by one of the original Amiga geniuses. Mostly this
is teh info and stuff Dave released from Commodore.

http://www.amigau.com/
Tons if useful links - some are dead but for the most part it's all
good stuff

http://www.amigau.com/aig/
Offshoot of above - a total, guide to amiga history - very
comprehensive and an interesting read for people new to Amiga.

That;s a good lot to be going on with. A lot of those sites link to
others, and so on. My 'Amiga' bookmarks in Safari are a list about 4x
that long but I'll leave the rest to your own wandering.

Oh if you REALLY want to get a feel for the people who made Amiga
then I recommend buying Cloanto's Amiga Forever and watching the DVDs
- especially the Deathbed Vigil and the Interview with original
Amiga, Inc. team (Jay Miner and his employees who got bought up by
Commodore) - both offer fascinating insights into where it came from
and what it stood for, and the bitterness that ensued when it was
killed off by pure business  incompetance.

Man you can tell this is a geeks list (*STFUs*).... ;o)

> I just told him i'd take 'em off his hands so i could use the TBC
> in one to
> route video to my O2 and Octane.  Plus they were headed for the
> trash bin
> and i wouldn't sleep well at night knowing they were scrapped.

The Video Toaster is an excellent piece of hardware. An Amiga with a
Video Toaster outclassed and out performed anything Apple came up
with up until 1999. So many Toaster rigs were used in broadcast video
applications it's untrue...

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: