[geeks] reputable used Mac (PB G4) dealers?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 31 20:50:29 CDT 2007

>From: Greg Nesbitt <gnesbitt at sapphyre.org>
>Date: 2007/03/31 Sat PM 09:22:14 CDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [geeks] reputable used Mac (PB G4) dealers?

>I bought my first Mac (a PowerBook G4) about 6 months ago.  Life was
>good.  My wife discovered the PowerBook and now it's "hers".
>
>I need to buy another one.  A new MacBook Pro falls outside my budget.
>
>Any recommendations on used Mac dealers?  I'd rather not deal with the
>uncertainties of eBay.  PowerMax appears to have some decent deals, but
>I don't know what their reputation looks like.
>
>Reputation is more important than price.  Basically, I'm looking for the
>AnySystem of Mac dealers.

Price range? Particular model?

Older G4 PowerBooks are reasonable (IMHO, not that I owuld buyone these days), but were I making a suggestion to a friend, I'd point them towards the current-model low-end MacBook as a refurb - the savings aren't great, but they are very solid machines. They also have 15 and 17 inch G4 PowerBooks at reasonable prices.

Without any indication of your desired speed or price range, it's hard to really make a suggestion.

Anysystem is an anomoly, since the market for older Sun equipment is so strange (you want to run "what" at home?) - I saw that they ahd a 3-pack of Ugly Duckling E420rs for $795, w/free shipping. I asked for a quote for one system (4x 450 MHz, 4 Gig RAM,2x 9 or 18 Gig HD, PCI framebuffer) that I would pick up in person, and the quote came back $395.

Ugh. The sales girl even confirmed the price with her supervisor... I guess they really want to get rid of the machines...

Lionel