[geeks] configuring new mail server: need information on private LAN setup

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 23 15:14:11 CDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:09:32 -0400 (EDT)
adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker) wrote:

> " From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> "
> " I've been using the same sendmail configuration for years, and I need to
> " make some changes to it.  Over the years I've somehow misplaced my m4
> " configuration files, even the printouts I made as backup.
> "
> " My setup is based on the NetBSD documentation's sendmail setup for a
> " private LAN with an ISP as a smarthost (which is gone now).
> "
> " Since I won't find the same documents as others, I thought I'd post here
> " for favorite documentation or pointers to make sure I catch up on the
> " collective wisdom for this kind of configuration.
>
> i for one would like to see what you come up with.

Here is what I have so far:

divert(-1)dnl
include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`20070322.001')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN(escape.goid.lan escape)
FEATURE(genericstable)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
define(SMART_HOST,smtp:mail.widomaker.com)
FEATURE(redirect)dnl
FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')dnl
define(`SMTP_MAILER_FLAGS',`e')dnl
define(`confCON_EXPENSIVE',`True')dnl
define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `4h')dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH', /usr/pkg/bin/procmail)dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

dnl # The following two mailers must always be defined
MAILER(local)dnl

It mostly works.

Problems:

I cannot send mail from my mail server.  It tries to relay through my ISP
smart host which times out, and then through my ISP's backup smart host,
which also times out.

Client machines can relay through my mail server just fine.  It queues up the
mail for my ISP smart host, and it goes straight out with no trouble.

Obviously I have more work to go, and I'd like to eliminate the need for the
accept features.

--
shannon / Asus A8N5X - Opteron 170 at 2.5GHz | But you know, a little Sun Ultra 1
-------'  2GB RAM - nVidia 7900GS         | is doing all the hard work...