[geeks] How low can you go...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Mar 17 11:59:53 CDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 04:53:13PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> The setup time for SLIP is usually pretty close to zero; SLIP is mostly
> to too simple to break.  (PPP is quite another story.  It's great for
> things like ISP dialup where client and server are clearly
> differentiated and you need the additional features it brings, but for
> dedicated wires between two machiens on fthe same bench it's a mess.  I
> once tried to set up a dedicated hardwired line between two machines
> running PPP, and despite struggling with it all afternoon, never did
> get a setup that would recover unattented from all sequences of
> reboots.  SLIP, though, Just Worked - though I had to hack on it a bit
> for the purpose, since it needed to carry IPv6.)

There is also SLIRP, which lets you set up a SLIP server in userspace.

Slip was only designed to carry IP, it won't work with other protocols,
such as NetBUI, Novell, Appletalk etc. If you use a TCP version of
those protocols you can get it to work, but some very old systems
won't.

There is also UUCP and Zmodem.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838