[geeks] How low can you go...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Mar 16 12:15:52 CDT 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:38:00 +0200
Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how did you get the OS on the system - stiffy
> disks?
I had to mount the disk in an other computer. The laptop has no network,
I have no PCMCIA network card and I am surely not going to install via
floppies or SLIP / PPP / PLIP.

> And also what do you use it for?
Serial terminal. It is a bit more handy then the VT520. (A real VT520 in
my case of course.) I'll add ssh capabilities once I can get my fingers
on a PCMCIA network card.

> Are you running X also?
No, not with 8 MB RAM. I had to compile a custom kernal also. The
GENERIC kernel needs a bit over 8 MB RAM, more then this poor, litle
machine has.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen